Saturday, November 8, 2008

I am Lauren, joint-popping enthusiast

This isn't even a confession; it's a well-known fact. Anyone who has ever spent more than 30 seconds in my presence has likely heard the sounds of my incessantly noisy joints. Notice, I'm not too quick to attribute this noise to my joint-cracking compulsion (of which I'm well-aware and to which I will readily admit). I pop both voluntarily and involuntarily. Whether or not my voluntary popping contributes to the involuntary or vice versa, I'm not entirely sure, but I do believe there is a difference.

Never do I intentionally pop my knees, but you can bet that every time I squat down to get something out of my floor-level cupboard (in the kitchen that I share with 6 others) the sound of my relatively youthful knees will be heard throughout the house. 19-year-old knees shouldn't be making that much noise- am I wrong? Well, whether or not they should, they do. Other joints that often unintentionally pop are my hips. But, I am guilty of consciously popping them as well; they seem to always need relieving.

My fingers on the other hand… these appendages I do intentionally pop (whether or not this is a conscious act, though, could be debated) constantly throughout the day. As it is for many, popping the joints in my fingers has become some kind of nervous habit or compulsion. It’s just something I do, without even thinking about it.

Does this worry me? In a sense, yes, because I know habits like this are rather repulsive to some and simply annoying to most. I should probably be more aware of those around me, and how my nervous habit is perceived. But the good news is, apparently I’m not popping my way to swollen knuckles and arthritis! On multiple occasions, my concern for this seemingly unhealthy habit has led me to various medical websites that have informed me that those are all myths; joint popping does not, I repeat, does NOT contribute to arthritis.

Honestly, I’m still not entirely convinced. I constantly feel as though my joints are begging to be popped. And the more I give into their pleas, the more they expect from me. When I pop out of physical necessity, the action/practice looses a little something special. I know, I’m kooky, but feel an odd sense of satisfaction when I get a good popping. When I first wake up in the morning, my neck pops like no other time in the day. And in the evening before bed, I get/ give myself a good back adjustment (the best of which come from my mom!)

Perhaps if I consciously cut back a bit on my habit, I might be able to better enjoy it when I do choose indulge. Who knows? Addiction is interesting. There must be motivation enough to quit/ cut back the habit, enough to outweigh the pleasure or satisfaction it brings. If the “myths” about arthritis were true, believe me I’d quit on the spot (or try to at least) but for now, I will continue to allow my popping pleasures to repulse and perturb those around me, but with an added slight consideration for those I sincerely love and respect, particularly repulsed roommates and perturbed parents.

7 comments:

kristinandmillie said...

hey fellow neck popper! i am so glad that you have researched this topic so in depth. i have always wondered why it feels so wonderful to pop my neck (only the the left side) and what, if anything am i damaging when i indulge? :) hopefully i will not end up 80 years old with my neck stuck completely to the left!

Amberjade said...

there is no joy like the joy of joint poppin fun

i share your enthusiasm!

Danielle said...

Lauren you are hysterical!! I love reading your posts...they always make me laugh :) When do you get out of school for Christmas break??

Adrienne said...

Hi Lauren,

I actually got a laugh out of this because I am EXACTLY the same way! I was curious if the popping pains you, though? I am concerned because my knees and ankles hurt when they pop. They are SO loud, and they always feel like they need to be popped because of stiffness.

Adrienne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren Frances Moore said...

adrienne...

nope! it doesn't usually hurt when i pop! it usually feels goooooood. :)

Alex Neil said...

Joint Cracking can be very painful and with ageing it becomes a very big problem. We should get treated properly so that we don't have to face this problem in later parts of our life