Friday, July 17, 2009

I am Lauren, bowl cut enthusiast

As a child, I always seemed to have a thing for boys with bowl cuts... seriously. The hairstyle, while it was rather popular in the 80's, was definitely on it's way out during my elementary school days of the mid-90's... but a bowl cut always managed to find its way into the classroom. Not until I was much older did I realize why this hairstyle was called by such a name... I always called it a "bold" cut.

These days, years after the perceived extinction of the bowl cut, such a hairstyle would most certainly be considered "bold." My first 21st century bowl cut sighting was last summer, I believe, at a Tilly and the Wall concert. Guitarist, Derek Pressnall, sported the child-like do, and really pulled it off, if I must say so myself. He looked like a big 6 year old jumping around up there on stage... simply couldn't resist it.
this is the only image I can find of Derek sporting the bowl...

But now, a year later, I'm finding that bowl cuts are no longer only for childish dudes, but also for enviously fashionable females, particularly those hailing from Denmark. As I was scanning the archives of the Danish street style blog, GadeMode, I quickly discovered what a trend this hair style has become among these gloriously chic and stylish Scandinavians.





If I were one to mess with my hair, I'd definitely give this cut a go... but I'm not... so I'll keep on admiring. And perhaps I'll have a bold buddy who'll let me mess around with his/her hair! I've mastered the mullet (arguably so), but now I'm thinking it's high time I add this to my repertoire.... anyone feeling BOLD?!?!

3 comments:

Lauren Beth Glaser said...

Oh, Lauren...I love how you surprise me. I hope that someone offers you his/her head to try the bowl/bold.

Sanaz Arjomand said...

Sorry girl--I think I've gone as short as I'll go! Although that first female 'bold cut' picture is lovely...

Kristen Gehrman said...

hmm.. i'll think about it