Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I am Lauren, Bob Fosse enthusiast

My first encounter with Fosse's choreography was one of utter excitement and awe. Mesmerized, I recall watching Miss Kathy's massive fake ponytail, whipping around and around and around like a sideways ceiling fan. At just 9 years old I knew I was a Fosse fan.The quirky moves were like nothing I had ever seen before. I'd practice what I had seen at rehearsals in my mirror at home. I wanted to move like that. I needed to move like that. Here's a clip of the dance they did, from the 1969 film, Sweet Charity.



Luckily, just 2 years later, my dear friend Sarah and I enrolled in the Atlanta Workshop Players summer camp, and though, at 11, we were technically too young for the dance division, we made it through auditions and into rehearsals for the Fosse themed performance that was to take place at the end of the 2 weeks. We were thrilled! I was finally going to legitimately get to show off my Fosse moves!

So who is this Fosse guy anyway? I didn't realize what a big deal he was until just recently. He's won countless awards for his choreography and direction... Academy Awards, Tony Awards, Emmy Awards... in fact, in 1973, he won all three! He once said of musical thatre...
“The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel."

His moves have been mimicked by many and admired by all. In fact, it's been alleged that the legendary MJ himself stole from Fosse, which may be evident after watching the below video from the fabulous film, "The Little Prince," starring Bob Fosse as the ssssssnake! Too, too cool.



I hate to overload this post with videos, but I think this, too, is worth your time. Versions of this have been floating around the internet... I'm sure you've seen at least one of them. This Fosse clip has been put to Beyonce's "Single Ladies," which was admittedly highly influenced by Fosse's work, but I prefer this one, in which these ladies from the 60's "walk it out" to Unk's hit tune.


Can't wait to bust some Fosse in the club!

3 comments:

kjlangford said...

yes, I remember the fake ponytail!

Sanaz Arjomand said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRm4evmgz4I

you know i love me some 'single ladies,' so i couldn't resist adding a link for any curious readers!

loved the post as always.

-sanaz

Kristen Gehrman said...

you fosseeee cleopatra ;)

I liked the video and i didn't know you were in a fosse show!