Sunday, September 6, 2009

I am Lauren, Henrique Oliveira enthusiast

Despite how much I love to make art, I rarely spend much time looking up and reading about those who like to do the same. I'm much more likely to stalk home design blogs than those pertaining to contemporary art. Why is this? I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps I'm not easily impressed. Or sometimes I think it might have something to do with a fear of the discovery that no idea or thought is truly original. For example, months after completing my first large concrete "thumbkin", I found images of Cesar Baldaccini's enormous "pouce" that was erected over 50 years ago in Paris...

As you can imagine... I was a little wigged out, slightly discouraged, kind of excited, and somewhat inspired all at once.

I'm finding, the best way to learn of artists is through word of mouth. My friend Michelle has a brain full of artists. She's the best for references and recommendations. When she sent me the link to Henrique Oliveira's website I just about had a heart attack. Not only was I so incredibly stimulated visually, I was overwhelmed with inspiration.
 
  
  
  
  
 

This guy is doing things that excite me to no end. His technique is one that I can only hope to mimic... I've been dying to create these types of planes, built away from the walls, but haven't had the skills or the know-how to actually make it happen. If only I could go to Brazil and study with Henrique!!

3 comments:

Adam Brunelle said...

this may be a long shot, but i suggest checking out brian dettmer. he does some interesting sculptures and uses books / encyclopedias in his sculptures.

www.briandettmer.com

i'd check out the ones on flickr first and then the one in barcelona!

Kristen Gehrman said...

I can't pull away from the literal and what I'm seeing is vaginas. It's distracting.

I think of you everywhere I go. When will we be in Europe together?

Love and miss,
K

kjlangford said...

thanks for following me! I can't wait to see all that enthuses you.