Friday, May 15, 2009

I am Lauren, home sweet home enthusiast

The past few years I've spent dreaming of the day when I would have a home of my own to infiltrate and outfit. And the past few weeks I've spent doing just that. It's literally a dream come true. My time has finally come... to satisfy my irresistible urge to settle. And it just so happens that I get to fulfill my dreams in the most adorable house ever!

I know this urge is unusual, especially for someone just shy of 20 yrs, but it's something I can't shake; it is my nature to nest. I like to make things my own, in all arenas, so when it comes to something as personal as creating a home environment, I can't help but assume tremendous responsibility to make it mine. This isn't one of those nagging responsibilities, but an enthusing, consuming compulsion to cultivate space... personal space.

I have always had a rather keen awareness of my surroundings and I feel strongly that the arrangement of space is crucial to well-being. It's all about balance. Perhaps I should look into becoming a feng shui master...?

The home is something that I value and cherish as the ultimate personal/shared space. I spent roughly 17 years in the same house, so perhaps that has something to do with why I feel so strongly about the importance of a sense of permanence in the home environment. I hope/plan to spend the next 2 years in this little green house. And after that...? To be honest, when it comes to the future, my nesting nature frightens me a bit. It conflicts with my sense of adventure and my desires to see the world, to get to know other places. How can I settle if I'm jet setting? Will I find a balance? Can I find a balance?

One of these days I'll give you a peek of what's happening inside (and outside!) of the house... looking lovely, but still a work in progress!

2 comments:

Sarah Kraus said...

it's beautiful! what a fun project- i cannot wait to finally see it in person!

Colin Kerr said...

Awesome! When are we going to have the house-warming party???