Sunday, May 31, 2009

I am Lauren, boiled peanut enthusiast

Growing up, road trips meant boiled peanuts... guaranteed. Perhaps this had something to do with the destinations of such trips. Having 2 parents from central/south Georgia most likely had everything to do with it. Like okra and collards, boiled peanuts are a symbol of southern culture and cuisine.

One can find boiled peanut stands scattered along the sides of curvy country back roads. This past weekend on my way to and from the Blue Ridge mountains I passed countless "p-nut" stands, each equally as tempting as the one before it. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I resisted the urge to pull over, yet craved them all the while.


Boiled peanuts just might be the ultimate snack. Their soft, boiled down texture and significantly salty flavor provide for quite a sensory experience. And not to mention, they're full of antioxidants! On May 1, 2006, Gov. Mark Sanford signed a bill making boiled peanuts the official snack food of South Carolina. Imagine that!

In grade school I was known for the eccentric contents of my lunch bag. These canned boiled peanuts were a must-have. Not nearly as incredible as those found road-side, but delicious nonetheless.
Since I seldom journey through country back roads these days, I've found another way to satisfy my boiled peanut cravings, besides the canned variety. Believe it or not, the Piggly Wiggly down the street from my house has its own boiled peanut stand! In fact, I'm munching on some as we speak... mmmm.

3 comments:

Kristen Gehrman said...

BOILED PEANUTS are DiSGuStInG!!! I'm so sorry Lauren, but I just can't share your enthusiasm. I am, however, very curious to hear more about the other things in your lunch bag.

Be back Thurs. Hope you are having a good week!

K

Rebekah said...

I SOOOOOOO share your enthusiasm and I love the sentiment as I echo it deep down in my soul! Loving this post,

Rebekah (Danielle's friend)

Sarah Kraus said...

oh man! i'm craving.