Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I am Lauren, baby doll enthusiast

As a child, I seldom partook in the typical baby doll activities such as playing pretend family or pretend school. I thought it futile to try to talk to something with plastic appendages and cotton fluff innards. Instead, my baby dolls functioned as miniature models. I dressed them in real baby clothes, some of which could be found on my own body back in my infant days. My assortment of barbies donned outfits I could only dream of wearing some day. I arranged them in rooms created in my makeshift Barbie mansion (a bookshelf, what else?!) and they just sat there, until I decided it was time for a new outfit or a change of scenery.

Since those days, I've developed a growing fascination with dolls. In high school, while browsing a the crafty hot-spot, Hobby Lobby, I came across the happiest little kewpie doll that I simply couldn't resist. At $2, I of course had to have him. He found his home on the dash of my car, and lived there for several years. I became known for this nameless naked baby. "Why Lauren?" my friends would ask. "He just makes me so happy!" was always my response.

I was thrilled to find this gloriously tattooed kewpie at Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art several years ago. It was part of a show featuring various works from Mexico. This piece in particular is by the Mexican artist and tattooist, Dr. Lakra.

I also was known for my "swinging baby earrings." I went through a phase of goofy jewelry making. Baby dolls were, of course, a prominent theme. I sold these cuties on ebay for a mere $5. I'm thinking I ought to make some more... and, yes, my hair did look like this, once upon a time.

This growing fascination quickly turned into an antique baby doll obsession. I'd scan second-hand stores for quirky additions to my ever-increasing collection. Here's how I have my favorites displayed at the moment.


Sure, they may at times be slightly disturbing, but I simply cannot resist their charm!


P.S. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a jacket like this?!?!

3 comments:

Kristen Gehrman said...

"That's just a baby with milk on it's head."
-kg

Lauren Frances Moore said...

ha... that quote almost made it into the post!

Sarah Kraus said...

so i know this is a little late, but i happened to run into this website of a designer that makes earrings/whatever from baby doll parts! ... i have to say i love your earrings the best
http://www.margauxlange.com/