Sunday, January 25, 2009

I am Lauren, clementine enthusiast


I'm a bit particular about the things I put into my mouth. It's not exactly that I'm a picky eater (I'm all for trying new things!) but I tend to be very sensitive to and aware the textures of my food. I prefer each bite to have a certain consistency... a consistency that is rarely found in the fat laden baby back ribs served at what seems to be every single Sunday afternoon cookout. Unless I have the time, and the patience, to painstakingly inspect every prospective bite, I am likely to opt for a hot dog at such events. One trace of that grimy gristle between my teeth, and I am done... appetite reversed... stomach repulsed... the end.

It's not just meat that gets me this worked up. Fruit, too, has me picking, poking, and peeling, all in hopes of perfecting the sensory experience. So, as I'm sure you can imagine, several weeks ago when my mom offered me a clementine I promptly declined, for the thought of tearing apart such a tiny citrus, full of skin and strings, did not exactly excite me. Nevertheless, upon convincing me that clementines are seedless citruses full of juicy flavor and joy, my mom coerced me to try a slice of her mini orange. And so it was, right then and there, that my love affair with clementines began.

I simply cannot get enough of these little things. They accompany me nearly everywhere I go. A 5 lb. crate won't last me but a week... I seriously eat them ALL day long. Chances are, if our paths ever cross, you've seen me peeling and picking at my juicy snack on multiple occasions. With only 35 calories (but who's counting?), an abundance of vitamin C, and just enough sugar for a little boost, these fruits make the ultimate snack. Perhaps eating 8 a day (buuuuuuut who's counting, right?) isn't the BEST choice, but what can I say, these things are rather addictive. Once I get the taste for a clementine, it's all I can think about... I MUST satisfy the craving. Thinking ahead, I always make sure to always have at least 2-3 in my book bag/purse/car/etc., just to be safe.

Earlier this week when I bought my mini-crate of clementines, I found that 5 lbs. of the fruit no longer costs a reasonable $5.99, but now runs me nearly $9!! I came to the horrifying realization that my beloved citruses are presently going out of season. What am I to do? I am slightly (more like seriously) concerned about the absence of clementines in my life during the coming months. Will I find a seasonal replacement indulgence? Any suggestions?

Oh my darling, oh my darling,
Oh my daaaaaaaarling, Clementine!
Thou art lost and gone forever
Dreadful sorry, Clementine.

No comments: