Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I am Lauren, particularity enthusiast

It's the second day of Sculpture class, and upon consultation for my first project, I'm greeted with an ebullient, "Well someone's a Type A personality!" He says it almost as if it's something to be ashamed of. Is there something wrong with having a plan, and organizing accordingly? Most certainly not, but I suppose it's an oddity in an introductory art course. Artists have a reputation for being more care-free and easy going... I must be the exception.

I am the type of person who tends to care about things that others could care less about. Curiously so, though, I would never actually use the word caring to describe my personality... hmmm. I don't care about the whimpering puppy dog on the street corner, or your neighbor's great uncle's ingrown toenail.

I'm just really particular, as I frequently find myself explaining. Type A is a bit severe- I've found that the word particular much better suits both me and my ways. In the world that I live in, things must be a certain way. Space must be optimized and time must be optimized... and in order to ensure this, one must... organize.

Those who do not share my curious attention to detail, might be inclined to protest, at the sight of my far from tidy bedroom, that I certainly am not of the organized sort. But these folks would be sorely mistaken. I care SO much about the organization and perfection of details, that the big picture tends to suffer. Ideally, the details will only contribute to the optimization of the space, but when time is not being optimized (nobody's perfect!) the ideal is not realized. Caring so much about the order of my highly organized drawers, when crunched for time, I will throw my (clean) clothes into the laundry basket, just to avoid having to deal with a sloppily folded tank top, that will most certainly require a REfolding when time allows. As you can see, this is not time-optimizing. Having to fold my tank top twice, once sloppily and once more to perfection, I am actually wasting time. Tidiness is not always the best use of time.

See how optimization is made up of various factors? It requires a fine balance... but this is getting too scientific... and I think you get the idea...

optimize [op-tuh-mahyz]: to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible
particularity [per-tik-yuh-lar-i-tee, puh-tik-]: attention to details; special care

Apparently, attention to detail is considered an asset in various fields...

"Chef says that all your vegetables are to be the same size... anything less is unacceptable!"

This is from the book I am currently reading about a girl who drops everything to go to culinary school in Paris... Perhaps I should do the same- my vegetables are ALWAYS the same size!

Though my particularity may go unnoticed and perhaps unappreciated, I believe that it contributes to all that I do. My fastidiousness is my art. And my art is just that, fastidious.

fastidious [fa-stid-ee-uhs, fuh-]: excessively particular, critical, or demanding; requiring or characterized by excessive care or delicacy

No comments: